Gala Cricket Club was founded in 1853 and at that time played in a park near the centre of the town. In the early years the playing membership were mainly made up of mill workers.
The club moved to the current ground, Meigle Park, around 1900. The ground has to be one of the most scenic sporting venues in the country, sitting at the foot of Meigle Hill on the west side of the town, with views looking down the Tweed Valley over the town and on over Melrose to the Eildon Hills.
Gala Cricket Club 1st XI played in the Border League until season 2011, before moving to the East of Scotland Cricket Association Leagues in 2012. Our 2nd XI will continue to compete in the Border Sunday League. Gala CC run a healthy junior section with qualified coaches and teams playing from Under 11 through to Under 18 age groups. The social cricket scene continues to flourish with other sporting clubs, businesses and pub and club teams battling over available dates to take on the Gala 3rd XI on Friday evening’s throughout the season.
Gala Cricket Club celebrated our 150th Anniversary in 2003 with a players re-union and a match against an SCU President’s XI which featured Rahul Dravid and Craig Wright playing for the Gala CC XI, two of the special events organised.
The highlight of the season however was the opening of the newly refurbished club rooms, with improved facilities for both players and supporters which has impressed all who have visited the club.